Preparing for your Pickup Appointment
What will I need to do before my pickup?
It is important that we know in advance what items we’ll be picking up. This will ensure enough time is allocated to your appointment, and our SpaceMakers are prepared to take all the expected items. If there are unexpected items that our team cannot take, a follow-up pickup appointment may be required (follow up appointments due to incomplete/inaccurate inventory are subject to standard pickup fees)
Once we know what items we’re picking up, we’ll be happy to provide an estimate of the supplies that may need to be purchased prior to or during your appointment, as well as the pickup cost.
To make sure your appointment goes as smoothly as possible, we recommend the following:
- Check with your building to see if MakeSpace needs to provide a Certificate of Insurance (COI) before the appointment. And if an elevator/moving time needs to be reserved.
- Air conditioning units and refrigerators must be unplugged at least 24 hours before your appointment to ensure they’re fully drained, and cleaned of any moisture and debris.
- Pack all of your bags and boxes before your appointment. Do not overpack. Cardboard boxes and MakeSpace bags should not exceed 40lbs.
- If possible, disassemble furniture items beforehand as disassembly adds to your appointment time. Please note that disassembly is provided if necessary for safe transport and storage of your items. Upon delivery, you will be responsible for re-assembling items.
- Label any bins and boxes to ensure they’re easily identifiable later on.
- Double-check that you’re not storing any items that violate our storage rules. This includes any food, liquids, and illegal or hazardous items.
- Empty dresser drawers, desks, filing cabinets, etc, making sure to remove any items you might have stored inside of your furniture.
- Remove any items that are mounted to the walls, such as paintings, shelves, TV’s, etc.
Can SpaceMakers disassemble my furniture?
SpaceMakers come prepared with standard tools, and are typically able to disassemble furniture items listed in your appointment inventory.
Furniture that requires specialized tools or advanced disassembly may not be eligible for disassembly by MakeSpace.
Please keep in mind that while disassembly is necessary to ensure items are safely transported and stored, MakeSpace does not offer reassembly service at the time of delivery.